Sensorimotor Multi-Axis Rotational Training
SMART (Sensorimotor Multi-Axis Rotational Training) is an innovative and highly effective approach to exercising and enhancing the performance of the human sensorimotor system: the system that enables you to perceive, process, and react to your environment.
GyroStim is uniquely capable of delivering a wide variety of precisely controlled motion profiles for use in SMART training strategies. Its data-driven incremental advancement ensures optimal training intensity is applied while protecting the individual from overstimulation, resulting in training sessions that are challenging, individualized, effective, and efficient.
Below, an elite athlete is engaged in an intensive SMART training session to further develop his reflexes, situational awareness, hand-eye coordination, decisiveness, spatial awareness, and reaction time. Note that during this run he is holding a laser in each hand, alternating use of right and left hands to hit targets, to increase the challenge to his sensorimotor system.
Above, MMA amateur light heavyweight world champion, Grant Neal, works at 30RPM during a SMART training session. Below, Neal shows off his belt between photos taken after his championship win.
- A typical SMART training session is 30 minutes, consisting of multiple "runs". Runs are typically thirty to sixty seconds (but can be shorter or longer). Runs are separated by a short rest period.
- The intensity of each run, number of runs per session, and total number of sessions are driven by the specific objectives for the individual’s training goals.
Everyone ---even the most elite athlete ---begins SMART training with slow, predictable, non-inverting motion profiles. This provides the opportunity to become familiar with the sensations and activities involved with training in a multi-axis rotating chair---without experiencing motion discomfort or sensory overload.
- Multiple laser detecting targets are located on the safety perimeter around the GyroStim. During each run, the subject uses a handheld laser pointer to hit as many targets as possible. Each target hit is communicated to the monitoring software. This targeting activity provides interactive challenges to many aspects of the sensorimotor system that runs throughout the human body and brain. The resultant target hits-per-minute provides a quantifiable measure of the subject’s ability to respond to the training intensity. Additionally, the gamification aspect of keeping score contributes to engagement and motivation.
- At the end of each run, the individual’s qualitative response, i.e. headache, nausea, dizziness, brain-fog, and other possible symptomatic responses will be assessed together with their quantitative response, i.e. target hits-per-minute. This assessment will be used by the GyroStim operator for information on how the subject is responding to the current training intensity, and, guidance on how best to proceed with the next training run.
Data-driven incremental advancement ensures that maximum training intensity is applied while protecting the individual from overstimulation, resulting in training sessions that are challenging, effective, efficient, individualized, and comfortable.
- As the individual successfully completes a run level, as evidenced by assessing the combined quantitative and qualitative data, training will advance to a higher level of challenge for the next run. This method of data-driven incremental advancement builds on the gains made in previous runs.
- In addition, the individual can be tasked with cognitive exercises during the run to further target the training to meet the specific needs of the subject. Click here to learn more about additional training strategies.
Consistency and repetition
GyroStim's library of pre-written motion profiles covers a broad spectrum of intensity, rotation, and duration for a diverse variety of applications.
- Repeatability of the training experience from run to run or session to session is ensured by the profile library, and, saved history of the individual.
- Since no two people are alike, each will experience an individualized progression that is customized to meet their specific needs. In addition motion profiles can be saved to a memory stick to use at a GyroStim in any location around the world.
CLICK HERE to learn about the theory behind S.M.A.R.T.